Lamborn Farm History
Established in 1877, the Horace and Rosemond Lamborn Farmstead started as a subsistence farm and later evolved to meet changing agricultural needs. Early in the farm's history, Horace boarded horses for area residents and drove cattle to pasture on the nearby state prison island, transporting them across the Missouri River in flat boats. Beginning in the early 1900s, the family developed a small dairy operation, which continued until 1998. The property has remained in the Lamborn family and continues to function as a working farmstead.
The farm was designated a Kansas Century Farm in 2000. In 2011, the Lamborn Homestead was added to the National Register of Historic Places and the Register of Kansas Historic Places. The farm received the 2012 Medallion Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation presented by the Kansas Preservation Alliance for its local significance in the area of agriculture.
The barn is more than 100 years old. Restoration was completed in May 2012.